Thursday, May 1, 2014

A cheap gardening trick

Keeping slugs/snails out of your Hostas

with out expensive chemicals

 

I love spring, all the beautiful flowers emerging,  new green foliage sprouting up everywhere. Hostas are one of my favorite. I am not a gardener, the only time my thumb is green is when I spray paint it during some 'Tweak project'.

 

However I stumbled on a bit of information that I thought was worth trying. If your Hostas start looking like some one has riffled them with a shotgun they need Coffee! Well caffeine anyway.

 

Collect your leftover coffee grounds in a container, remove filters (extra tip: It's easier to remove filters after they have dried, lol).

Sprinkle them around the base of your plants. With a baggie for a glove I removed all those pesky little snails I happen to see.

This absolutely saved my Hostas last year. I was a little slow getting it done this spring, but they don't look too bad yet. I think I may have done it a couple times last summer. And a bonus is the Hostas get extra nitrogen from the composting grounds! Win Win!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment